Do you have a fear of exams? 7 Tips to Overcome the Exams Fear. Every year in March, the students, parents, and teachers are under stress due to the examination. Stress, tension, anxiety, and fatigue are common words these days to describe the stress and pressure of performing well in class 10 and 12 examinations from parents and teachers. Readlearnexcel always provides solutions to students, parents, and teachers. In the article, “Do you have a fear of exams?: 7 Tips to Overcome the Exams Fear”, Readlearnexcel is providing some practical tips to overcome the fear of examinations to score good marks in the exams.
Exams are commencing. Students, parents, and teachers are in tension. Exams are a year-round process and will remain so forever. Tensions, stress, anxiety, and fatigue are common among students. It is everyone’s responsibility to reduce student stress. Teachers are also helping students by providing counseling to them. We learn together to reduce the tension of exams. Exams being exams, tensions will prevail. Let us discuss minimizing the stress level of the students.
Exam phobia is the fear of examinations, and it is common among students of all ages. Some students develop exam phobias, which create anxiety among students. It can create psychological disorders among students. I always try to remove the fear of exams from the minds of my students in school. For the larger benefit of students, let us dive into the causes and solutions of exam phobia in their minds.
All the best for your examination! Exams should not put you under any stress. M.S. Yadav, Your Principal Teacher, 23/02/2023
Causes of Exam Fear
The most common causes of exam phobia are:
- Fear of scoring in exams
- Pressure from society, including parents
- Fear of letting down parents and teachers
- Fear of admission to the next class
- More emphasis on theory as compared to the vocational system
- Setting a high target
- Using grades as a symbol of self-esteem
- Lack of regular practise
- Irregularity during the session
- Postponing things for the next day
- Less practise in reading and writing during the class
- wasted time during the session
- never finished homework during the session.
Therefore, all of us need to help the students overcome exam phobia, as it may harm a child’s physical and mental health. Many students suffer from low self-esteem and anxiety, which must be addressed. Exam phobia may lead to poor performance by a student. Therefore, here are some ways and tips that can help in overcoming exam tensions and fear:
How to control Exam Phobia/Fear
1. Do Yoga, Meditation, and Make a Plan
It is important to first calm down and relax your mind by taking deep breaths to release pressure from the mind. Do yoga and meditation. Now, with a clear and stress-free mind, note down your plan of action. Prepare a schedule to study properly before your exams so that there is time for revision sessions as well. the proper schedule will also allow the student to take breaks in between the studying session to avoid stress and to utilize time.
2. Rest is best near the test and Take a proper diet
Rest plays a crucial role near exams. some students do not sleep during the exams. This is the major cause of exam phobia. Therefore, one should have sound sleep during the night. Diet is also important, take enough liquid and fruits to keep the metabolism active. a balanced diet is mandatory to remain active.
Taking rest will help us with getting energized and motivated. The absence of rest will prompt weakness and stress. Thus, leading to exam phobia. At last, it will destructively impact your planning. To dodge this, guarantee that your body and mind are getting sufficient rest.
3. Don’t Compare Yourself with Others, Understand your weakness and strength
Students generally meet their friends and discuss each other’s preparation for the exam (progress, level of planning, and so forth) While this is nothing to worry about this could also cause stress, pressure, and nervousness. Several students generally get worried when they see their classmate’s improvement and level of progress. To overcome this, pay attention to your preparation and not make a big deal about what others are doing.
4. Take Small and Regular Examination Breaks
Consistently reading for long periods can make your mind and body stressed and exhausted which at last puts fear into your mind. Your mind won’t have the option to get a grip on any more information and this will add to your phobia.
Along these points, break up your examination timetable to break the pattern and do some mind-relaxing and recreational exercises like singing, dancing, viewing your favorite T.V. program, calling and visiting with your friends, having snacks, and so on This way your brain will get revived and energized and gets prepared to incorporate in more information.
5. Make Time for Revision to Keep Exam Phobia at Bay
Often students study till the last moment before the exam and start getting anxious as a result. It is very important to make time for revision in your timetable to avoid last-minute pressure and stress. It is impossible to retain all the information in your brain without revision. Revision can reduce exam phobia and help you to go for your exam stress-free.
6. Sleep Properly
Students should ensure that they sleep properly before their exams. A night of good sleep is essential before an exam because it relaxes your mind and helps to retain all the information in your brain. Improper sleep before exams can create anxiety and stress which will lead to poor academic performance. It is usually advised that the students take 7- 8 hours of sleep before the exams.
Meditation is an incredible way to reduce pressure! Doing it daily can do wonders! It will carry calmness and discipline to your mind and body! In case you don’t enjoy meditation, you may do different stress-releasing exercises. Seeking after your leisure activity is a decent alternative. Commit some time day by day towards pressure-busting exercises.
All through the test planning stage, it is essential to remain positive. Accept that you’ll do well in the test. Positive considerations are known to keep pessimism and stress under control. Try not to let others demotivate you. Put stock in yourself, follow the tips referenced above, and remain positive.
Some Important Extra Tips to Relieve Exam Stress
- Write, write, write before the exams if you don’t grasp what you are learning.
- Make small sticky notes before the exam to revise easily on exam day.
- Always go for a morning walk every day.
- Don’t try new things or learn some difficult topics.
- Identify your strong and weak points.
- Learning can be accomplished by reading aloud.
- Watch TV to refresh your mind occasionally during exams.
- Listen some light music.
The last thing you should remember is to relax at the Exam Center.
- Prepare everything the night before, and check that you have packed your bag with everything you will need – extra pens, water, tissues, and so on. On the morning of the exam, tension can make you forget something important. So relax.
- Talk to the other pupils before taking the exam if it helps to build your confidence, but if it just makes you more nervous, try and find a quiet corner for yourself.
- Go to the toilet before the exam starts.
- Take time to read the instructions and questions carefully. Many students do badly because they give the wrong number of answers or misread the questions.
Related Articles on Exams:
- “Lesson Plan for the Last 30 Days for Class 12 English Before Exams”
- English Guide: CBSE Sure-Shot Questions Class 12 English(Core)|RLE CBSE Sure-Shot Questions Class 12 English(Core)
- “Important Study Tips and Advice for CBSE Exams in 2022–2023”
- How to Score Maximum Marks in CBSE Class 12 English(Core)?